Let’s talk about cashews for a moment. Can I just say that they are saving my newly non-dairy eating life? For real.
I used to always say that I could never be vegan because I love cheese too much. Then I learned about cashew cheese. Then I tried cashew cheese and my mind was officially blown.
I saw this post from Oh Ladycakes a while back and was really intrigued by the cashew cream she made. I have since made it in several variations and it is one of my new favorite things. So fluffy and creamy with a perfectly neutral backdrop to flavor it with whatever you like. Or keep it just as is because hey, that is delicious too!
I am also so excited that the basil in my herb garden is growing like crazy! I love how basil complements fresh berries with another layer of flavor and freshness. But if basil isn’t your thing you could use mint instead!
Yields makes 2 small tarts, double the recipe if making a large tart
- Place pecans and 4 dates in blender or food processor. Pulse to a fine crumb.
- Check the texture to see if it holds together like a crust when pressed. Pulse in another date if needed.
- Divide the dough between 2 small tart pans. Firmly press into the pan to create a crust.
- Wrap with plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator if not using immediately.
- Place cashews, nut milk, lemon juice and zest, salt, and sweetener in food processor or blender. Blend to the texture of a smooth cream.
- Top with berries and garnish with fresh basil.
raw, vegan, dairy free, paleo friendly