The easiest no-knead skillet bread. The recipe only calls for 4 simple ingredients! Mix together, let the dough rise, pan and bake. You won’t get your hands or counters messy!
If there is anything I know about yeast bread it is that for those who haven’t made it before it can feel intimidating. I know this because I once was that person. I thought yeast was this scary ingredient that I didn’t understand. And people tell me all the time that they are nervous about working with yeast.
Well I’m here to get your feet wet with working with yeast! This easy no knead skillet bread recipe will build up your baking with yeast confidence! And it only calls for 4 simple ingredients!
This bread really could not be more simple! The make the dough, you just stir all of the ingredients together. The dough then sits few an hour so the yeast can activate and feed for a while, and then it is baked. That’s it!
There are many things to know about yeast and bread making. If you are interested in learning more in-depth information about baking with yeast, I suggest you check out my Baking with Yeast 101 Post. But for this bread you really only need to know 1 thing: Yeast likes warm temperatures, but not hot temperatures! Your water should be warm, slightly warmer than body temperature, but not hot! You will kill the yeast if you use too hot of water. But other than that, this no knead skillet bread is virtually fool proof!
Now that I am a more experienced bread baker, I still find myself coming back to this bread recipe. It is great for having fresh bread on a busy weeknight. That feels so decadent!
I love to add fresh herbs to my bread- rosemary is a favorite. You could add olives, nuts, roasted garlic, or really anything your heart desires!
One of the things that continues to fascinate me about bread is that it only requires a few simple ingredients: just water, flour, salt, and yeast. Those humble and few ingredients result in such a beautiful and comforting product! It feels like magic!
I hope this recipe inspires you to start making yeast bread a habit in your home!
Easy No-Knead Skillet Bread
This is the easiest no-knead skillet bread. Just mix all of the ingredients together, let the dough rise, put it in a pan and bake! You won’t get your hands or counters messy!
- 1 package active dry yeast (2 & 1/4 tsp if measuring from bulk yeast)
- 2 cups (16 fl oz, 473 ml) lukewarm water
- 1/2 TBSP Morton kosher salt (use 1 TBSP if using Diamond Kosher)
- 4 & 1/3 cups (18.4 oz, 515 gr) all-purpose flour
- olive oil
- Combine yeast and warm water in a large bowl or pitcher.
- Using a wooden spoon add in 1 cup of the flour and then the salt and mix until combined. Stir in the rest of the flour, one cup at a time, until completely incorporated.
- Cover with plastic wrap or a lid that is not shut completely. Allow to rise for 1 hour.
- Do not punch down the dough. Lightly oil the bottom of a cast iron skillet (a 10″ or 12″ skillet works well).
- Sprinkle a good amount of flour on top of the dough and then cover hands with flour. Take all of the dough and shape into a disk. (it will be sticky)
- Place in the skillet, cover loosely with a towel, and allow to rise for another 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF.
- Drizzle a little more oil over the top of the bread, and slash the dough with a knife creating an X. Sprinkle with coarse salt and rosemary leaves.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes until the top is a deep brown color.