Did you know that Sunday, January 8th, is Elvis’s 77th birthday?
Did you know that Elvis’s favorite sandwich was a Peanut Butter, Banana, and Bacon sandwich?
Did you know that this cake, inspired by the Elvis Sandwich, is REALLY tasty?
I know this because I tasted just a little sliver of one layer (gotta stick to my resolutions) and then took the rest to work. My co-workers ate every crumb. One of my vegetarian co-workers even told me that he seriously contemplated eating some. But he had will power.
So here’s to you Elvis! Thanks for pushing the limits with your music and dancing AND with your taste in food!
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream together the butter and sugars until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time, mixing well after each.
- Add in the bananas (mash before adding if they are not really ripe) and mix on medium high speed until they are well incorporated. Scrape down the bowl as needed.
- With mixer on low add the last 5 ingredients. Turn to medium speed until well incorporated.
- Split equally into 5, 8 inch cake pans. This should be about 1 1/2 cups batter each. You may have to do this in many batches if you don’t have more than one cake pan.
- Bake at 350 for 15-18 minutes, until a toothpick stuck in the middle comes out clean.
- Turn out, and cool on cake racks.
- In a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, beat the butter and peanut butter until smooth.
- Add powdered sugar and salt and beat until incorporated, scraping down the bowl if necessary.
- Add the vanilla and heavy cream and beat on high for about 4 minutes, scraping down the bowl twice, until light and fluffy.
- Prepare 1 lb of bacon until crisp and crumble.
- Drain onto paper towels and divide into 5 portions.
- Frost each layer with a thin layer of peanut butter frosting and some crumbled bacon before adding the next layer.