Baker Bettie’s Women’s Sourdough Retreat!
October 16, 2021 @ 6:00 pm - October 18, 2021 @ 10:00 am
Join trained chef and baking instructor Kristin “Baker Bettie” Hoffman for a weekend of sourdough bread baking. We will be going away to an absolutely stunning villa on Lake Michigan for a weekend focused on baking bread, relaxation, and connection.
During this weekend you will receive 8+ hrs of hands on baking instruction that will cover a wide variety of skills and techniques.
YOUR TICKET INCLUDES
- 2 Night stay with incredible lakefront views at a stunning property located in Miller Beach, IN (about 1 hr drive from Chicago)
- All meals, snacks, and beverages for the weekend- (coffee, tea, soda, sparkling water, wine, and beer will be provided)
- All materials and supplies for an in depth sourdough bread baking workshop
- 8+ hrs worth of hands on instruction with the chef instructor
- Access to all of the properties amenities: 2 hot tubs, several fire pits, wood burning stoves, media rooms, direct beach access
- A bread baking swag bag of bread baking tools including a banneton basket, bread lame, apron, and more!
- A jar of sourdough starter to take home with you
- A booklet of information and sourdough recipes
6:00 – 7:30 PM- Leisurely arrival and get settled. Help yourself to dinner and relax in the round room with drinks and get to know the other women!
8:00-8:30 PM- Welcome & Introductions
8:30-9:30 PM- Introduction to Sourdough, Make Pizza Dough for Lunch Tomorrow, Feed Starters for Tomorrow Morning
9:30 PM- ? Enjoy the hot tubs, fire pits, adult beverages, and head to bed when you’re ready!
7:00 AM – 9:00 AM- Help yourself to the sourdough toast bar and coffee at your leisure
9:30 AM – 12:30 PM Sourdough Intensive
During this time we will be working with a variety of doughs and preparing several different kinds of breads. You will be guided in utilizing my base sourdough recipe to make your own formula which you will mix and bake to take home. We will also be utilizing the dough we made Friday night to make a lunch of sourdough pizza. And we will be making sourdough cinnamon rolls to enjoy for breakfast on Sunday morning. The skills covered in this intensive include:
- How to maintain your sourdough starter
- The basic sourdough process and how to modify it to fit your schedule
- Baker’s percentages and how to calculate to change hydration of your dough
- How to build tension when shaping
- How to know when your dough is done proofing
- Basic lean dough & variations
- Basic enriched dough & variations
- How to make your own sourdough formula to utilize a variety of flours, grains, seeds, & other mix-ins.
12:30 PM – 1:30 PM Lunch
1:30 PM – 5:00 PM Sourdough Intensive Cont…
5:00 PM – 7:00 PM Break & Regroup for dinner
7:00 PM Group Dinner
Enjoy the hot tubs, fire pit, beverages, and head to bed when you’re ready!
8:00 AM Breakfast as a group
9:00-10:30 AM Final Session, Bake Final Loaves & Wrap Up
11:00 – 11:30 AM Departure
Tickets are available for shared rooms and private rooms with varying prices. Rooms are available on a first come first serve basis. Please read the description of reach room and see pictures to see the options that are still available. When booking you have the option to pay a deposit to secure your spot or to pay for your room in full upfront.
Who can attend this event?
This event is for those who identify as a woman and are at least 21+. You should also have a love for bread!!
Can you accommodate my food allergy/special diet?
It depends on what it is! Please contact me at [email protected] before booking if you have a food allergy or special dietary need so we can discuss! Obviously, gluten and other grains are a big focus for this weekend. However, some other things are a little more doable. Let’s talk and we’ll figure it out! I just want to make sure it will be safe for you before I say “yes, absolutely.”
What if I need to cancel?
My typical policy is no cancellations or refunds. However, if you have extenuating circumstances, contact me and we will discuss.
The location of the villa is in Miller Beach, IN. The exact address will be given to you upon booking.
- If you are driving from Chicago, it is about a 1 – 1 1/2 hr drive (depending on time of day) drive via I-90
- You can also take the Metra from Chicago. We can arrange to pick you up from the Metra Station.
- If you are flying, the best airport option is Midway Airport. You could then rent a car a drive the hour to the location, or take the Metra.
Please reach out to me at [email protected] if you need assistance figuring out transportation to the location.
ROOM DESCRIPTIONS (see pictures to get a feel for each room)
*Price of room includes everything listed above including all meals, workshop, and 2 night stay
The Sailor Room (Shared Room)$695- 1 SPOT LEFT Shared room with 2 full bunk beds and shared bathroom (only 2 guests will be booked in this room)
The Nautical Suite- $725 or $775 Shared Room- King Suite with additional Deluxe High Rise AeroBed and shared en suite bath (shared with the Skylight Room), 180 degree views
The Master Suite- $745 Shared OR $795 Private- SOLD OUT King Suite with with additional Deluxe High Rise AeroBed, en suite bath w/ “water room sanctuary” (with dual steam jets, rainfall shower, and jetted tub) and private deck
The Skylight Room (Private Room) $825- private queen room with shared en suite bathroom (shared with the Nautical Suite)
The Sunset Room (Private Room) $825- private queen room with shared bathroom
The Skyline Bedroom(Private Room) $825- SOLD OUT Private Queen Bedroom w/ shared Bath and private deck
The East Overlook Room (Private Room) $825- SOLD OUT Private queen room with shared bath en suite bath (shared with the Chicago Room) and deck access, 2nd floor in the addition
The Chicago Room (Private Room) $825- private queen room with shared en suite bath (shared with the East Overlook Room), 2nd floor in the addition