It’s only Wednesday but I am already dreaming of the weekend. Not that I hate my job or anything. I actually like it a lot. But I do love lazy weekend mornings where I get the lay in bed for an hour… or several hours, after I wake up and make a leisurely breakfast or brunch.
I LOVE breakfast food. All of it. LOVE. And I love that it doesn’t need to be overly complicated to be absolutely delicious
- 1 1/2 lb baking potatoes
- 4 Tbsp butter
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 12 small breakfast sausage links
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups cherry or grape tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 4 eggs
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Peel and cook the potatoes in a large pot of slightly salted, boiling water, until almost cooked through. About 10 minutes. Drain well and coarsely mash.
- Melt butter in a large non-stick skillet and saute onion over medium low heat for 15 minutes until soft and golden.
- Add the potatoes to the pan with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Cook stirring and mashing the potatoes occasionally, for 15 to 20 minutes until well-browned and crisp around the edges.
- Meanwhile, put the sausages in a roasting pan and drizzle with half the oil, and roast in a 400 degree oven for 25 minutes.
- Half the tomatoes and put them in a shallow baking dish. Drizzle with the remaining oil and put them on the top shelf of the oven after the sausages have been cooking 5 minutes.
- Cook the tomatoes for 15 minutes, then drizzle over the balsamic vinegar and cook for 5 more minutes.
- Fry the eggs to your liking (I love a runny yolk!) and serve over the onion hash alongside the sausage and tomatoes.