Baker Bettie’s Better Baking Book
Amazon #1 Bestseller in Professional Cooking, Pastry Baking, Cake Baking, Pies, Desserts, and Cookies
Now Available for Pre-Order!
The book can be ordered from any of the retailers listed below (click on the button to go to the pre-order page) or you can request it be ordered from your local bookshop!
About the Book
I am so excited to share with you my new book, Baker Bettie’s Better Baking Book! I describe this book as the one that I wished I had when I was first learning to bake. I wanted a book that broke down baking science, mixing methods, and techniques in an approachable way. This book does exactly that!
In part one of the book, I lay important groundwork for everything that follows. We cover basic ingredient functions, essential rules of baking, and key baking science.
In part two, we dive into techniques and recipes. You will learn important mixing methods through step-by-step pictures as well as the master recipes that utilize these methods. Additionally, I show you how versatile master recipes are to create endless baked goods!
This section is divided into five major baking categories: Quick Breads, Cookies & Bars, Cakes, Pies, and Yeast Breads. Each of these sections will build your baking confidence on the topic and connect all of the dots for baking beyond the book.
What You’ll Find Inside the Book
- Approachable Information: Baking science, foundational techniques, and key ingredient functions are broken down in an approachable way.
- Step-by-Step Images: The book includes 235 beautiful full-color images, including images for every recipe and tons of step-by-step photos (featuring my signature vintage styling)
- Mixing Methods: 15 of the most commonly used mixing methods are featured to encourage bakers of any level to gain a deeper understanding of baking to build confidence in the kitchen.
- Master Recipes: The book includes 36 of the most commonly used master recipes. You will see how most recipes are built from masters. This approach is designed to give baker’s more flexibility and confidence to create their own flavor profiles.
- Flavor Charts & Variations: Each master recipe features a flavor chart and/or flavor variation ideas so that you can utilize the book to create endless baked goods.
- Weight & Volume Measurements: Every recipe features metric weight & US volume measurements. Pan size measurements and baking temperatures are all also given in both imperial and metric measurements.
I am confident this baking cookbook will become a staple in your kitchen that you will reference time and time again! Consider this your baking fundamentals master class!
Where to Buy
- Baking Ingredients and Their Functions
- Essential Baking Equipment
- Common Baking Techniques and Terminology
- Essential Rules of Baking
- Quick Breads
- Cookies & Bars
- Cakes & Frostings
- Yeast Breads
- Miscellaneous Techniques & Recipes
- 235 full color images featuring finished recipes and step-by-step process shots
- 95+ Recipes including master recipes, recipe variations, and flavor charts for making your own!
- Baking science notes to help troubleshoot as needed
- 273 Pages
- ISBN-10 : 1642506583
- Author: Kristin “Baker Bettie” Hoffman
- Foreword: Sally McKenney of Sally’s Baking Addiciton
- Photography: Kristin “Baker Bettie” Hoffman
- Published by Mango Publishing
- Food Styling: Kristin “Baker Bettie” Hoffman and Kelly Haines
- Official release date November 16, 2021
Praise for the Book
“I wish I had this book when I started baking! It’s not only a collection of amazing recipes, but it answers the ‘why’ to your baking questions.”―Gemma Stafford, chef, author, and host of Bigger Bolder Baking
“Kristin has given bakers of any skill level the essential baking handbook with this collection of tested recipes, thorough instructions, and detailed kitchen lessons.”―Sally McKenney, author of Sally’s Baking Addiction
“Kristin is so knowledgeable about baking and makes it incredibly fun to learn the science behind it all. I would have loved this book when I was learning to bake because it breaks down so much about how baking works and how to become a better baker. A must-have on every baker’s shelf!”―Liz Marek, award-winning cake decorator, author, and host of Sugar Geek Show
“This is a must-have cookbook and resource for anyone looking to gain baking confidence. Kristin’s approachable teaching and writing style makes you feel like she’s right there in the kitchen with you, holding your hand every step of the way. Not only will you gain a thorough understanding of fundamental techniques and the why’s of baking, but her master recipes and formulas provide an incredible foundation and framework for endless creativity and fun.”―Laura Davidson, chef and creator of A Beautiful Plate
“If you’re looking for a baking textbook, a master guide that explains everything you need to know about baking, Baker Bettie’s Better Baking Book is it. Kristin answers all questions that could possibly arise from a recipe, whether they concern ingredients, equipment, or techniques. She accompanies methods with delectable base recipes that invite readers to experiment and get creative, and illustrates them with stunning step-by-step photographs. A beautifully written book that will no doubt be a staple for novices and more experienced bakers alike.”―Vedika Luthra, author of 52 Weeks, 52 Sweets
About the Author
Kristin “Baker Bettie” Hoffman is a trained chef, baking educator, and creator of the popular baking blog BakerBettie.com. Kristin’s approach is to teach foundational recipes, baking techniques, and accessible baking science. She believes gaining an understanding of the “whys” in baking helps foster confidence in the kitchen.
Her readers praise her ability to connect the dots between techniques and big picture concepts to show not only what to bake, but how to bake.
Kristin has an affinity for retro style and “Baker Bettie” is her public alter ego that brings a bit of nostalgia for the desserts and baked goods you might remember growing up with. Kristin wants the process of learning to bake to feel comforting and approachable, and she believes a warm retro feel helps with this. She teaches as Baker Bettie on her website, YouTube channel, and online baking school, The Better Baking School. She also hosts live workshops and corporate events in the Chicago area.
Read more about Baker Bettie and her approach here.