Chili mocha cupcakes start with a rich chocolate cake spiced with cayenne pepper, smoked paprika, and cinnamon! They are then topped with an espresso buttercream and a sprinkle of cayenne for a little extra spice!
I’m a pretty simple coffee drinker. I usually like a strong black cup or sometimes an americano. But every once in a while I like to indulge in a “fancy” coffee drink.
My best friend once told me, “I always get a mocha on my birthday. Everyone deserves a mocha on their birthday!” She is SO right! Everyone DOES deserve a mocha on their birthday! And I’ve lived by that philosophy ever since!
But slowly that philosophy has turned into, “I’m going to get a mocha on my day off. Everyone deserves a mocha on their day off!”
If you are a coffee house frequenter, then you are already being flooded with advertisements for fall drinks. I admit, I will have a pumpkin spice latte or two before the season is over, but Starbucks has a new Chile (spelled like the country) Mocha on their menu that I can totally get down with! I LOVE spicy chocolate.
I had my first day off Chile Mocha the other day and I immediately wanted to create a cupcake with the flavors. The mocha is spiced with cinnamon, cayenne, and paprika and it is my new favorite fall treat!
I decided to make a really moist rich chocolate cupcake enhanced with instant espresso and spiced with the same chili mocha spices! It is then topped with an espresso buttercream and I sprinkled a little cayenne on top for a little extra zing! I also used espresso beans as a little garnish!
You have got to make these! Then take them to work or to a party and share them and let everyone love you!
Chili Mocha Cupcakes
Chili mocha cupcakes start with a rich chocolate cake spiced with cayenne pepper, smoked paprika, and cinnamon. They are then topped with an espresso buttercream and a sprinkle of cayenne for a little extra spice!
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup cocoa
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 TBSP instant espresso powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 2 sticks (1 cup, 8 oz) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 TBSP instant espresso powder
- cayenne pepper for sprinkling, optional
- Preheat oven to 325F. Line a cupcake tin with cupcake liners.
- In a large bowl, or the bowl of a stand mixer, whisk together flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, salt, espresso powder, cinnamon, cayenne, and paprika.
- Add milk, vegetable oil, eggs, and vanilla to the bowl with the flour mixture. Use a hand mixer or the paddle attachment on the stand mixer and mix together on medium speed until well combined.
- Stop the mixer and carefully add boiling water to the cake batter. Beat on high speed for about 1 minute to add air to the batter.
- Divide the batter evenly between the cupcake liners.
- Bake at 325F for about 18 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with moist crumbs.
- Remove from the oven and allow the cupcakes to cool completely before frosting.
- For the frosting, in a large bowl beat the butter with a hand mixer until light and fluffy. Add the powdered sugar, vanilla extract, and espresso powder and beat together until combined and fluffy.
- Frost the cupcakes and sprinkle lightly with cayenne pepper if desired.