Cheddar Jalapeño Bread
This variation on my savory quick bread recipe really hits the spot with cheddar, jalapeño, and fresh thyme. With little prep work it can be in the oven and ready for dinner in no time.
- Skill Level: Beginner
- Components Used: Savory Basic Quick Bread Recipe
This recipe is another one that stems from a customizable recipe. I used the savory version of my basic quick bread recipe and added flavors of cheddar, fresh thyme, and jalapeño. The wonderful thing about this recipe is that you can swap around ingredients and add some of your favorites.
For instance, instead of the cheddar you could add parmesan or monterey jack cheese. Instead of the thyme you could add fresh dill or rosemary. If you don’t like jalapeños then you could easily leave them out!
I love the flavor combination of cheddar and jalapeños! To me, it’s a classic. It goes great in loaf breads, biscuits, scones, cornbread, and even yeast breads.
It really doesn’t need anything else but if you add a slather of butter or dip it into chili or stew- it is out of this world delicious.
- 240 grams (2 cups) all-purpose flour
- 13 grams (1 tablespoon) granulated sugar
- 10 grams (1 tablespoon) baking powder
- 4 grams (¾ teaspoon) kosher salt
- 1 ½ teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 227 grams (1 cup, 240 milliliters) milk (buttermilk, skim, 1%, 2%, whole, or dairy-free), room temperature
- 113 grams (½ cup, 120 milliliters) oil (neutral-flavored oil like canola, vegetable, safflower, grapeseed or olive oil can be used for additional flavor)
- 200 grams (2 cups) sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 medium fresh jalapeño pepper, finely chopped
- At least 30 minutes before baking, measure out the milk (227 grams, 1 cup) and set it out with the egg (1 large) to come to room temperature. Measure out the rest of the ingredients.
- Position an oven rack to the center position. Preheat the oven to 350°F/175°C.
- Prep an 8.5 x 4.5-inch (22 x 11-cm) loaf pan with parchment paper or non-stick spray.
To Make the Bread:
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour (240 grams, 2 cups), sugar (13 grams, 1 tablespoon), baking powder (10 grams, 1 tablespoon), salt (4 grams, ¾ teaspoon), garlic powder (1 ½ teaspoons), fresh thyme leaves (1 tablespoon).
- In a separate bowl, lightly whisk together the egg (1 large), milk (227 grams, 1 cup), and oil (113 grams, ½ cup) until well combined.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients.
- Use a spoon or rubber spatula (not a whisk) and stir until just combined. This should only take about 30-45 seconds of mixing. The batter will be lumpy. Do not over-mix or the bread will become tough.
- Gently fold in the shredded cheddar cheese (200 grams, 2 cups) and chopped jalapeño pepper (1 medium).
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan. If desired, sprinkle a little more of the shredded cheddar on top for visual appeal.
- Bake at 350°F/175°C for 42-50 minutes until lightly golden brown and the top springs back when gently pushed or a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Check on your bake at about the halfway mark, and if it looks as though it is not baking evenly, rotate the pan.
- Gently transfer the baked loaf out of the pan onto a cooling rack about 10 minutes after taking it out of the oven. Let it cool for at least 20 minutes before slicing. This will help the texture of the bread to solidify.
- Store uneaten bread at room temperature loosely wrapped in foil or plastic wrap for up to 3 days.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 289