This peanut butter cookie recipe creates the best soft peanut butter cookies with only 5 ingredients needed. This easy recipe is naturally gluten free and can be made from start to finish in under 20 minutes. Pin it for Later »
Soft Peanut Butter Cookie Recipe Overview
Skill Level: Beginner
This recipe for soft peanut butter cookies is very simple to make with very few ingredients. The cookies can be made from start to finish in under 20 minutes and the texture of the cookie is soft and almost fudgy in the center.
The key ingredient that makes these the best soft peanut butter cookies is cornstarch. Because these cookies are flourless, they are naturally gluten free.
Tips, Tricks, & Techniques
- For this particular recipe, it isn’t important for the egg to be at room temperature. This is a bonus because the cookies can be made with a moments notice.
- The peanut butter can be substituted with any kind of nut butter. Soft cashew butter cookies are also amazing!
- When the cookies come out of the oven they will look slightly under-baked and appear as if they will not hold their shape. Let them sit on the baking sheet for 5 minutes before removing so that they have time to set.
- Peanut Butter is high in fat and therefore serves a similar role in this cookie recipe that butter serves in other recipes. It adds richness and its stickiness also helps bind the cookie.
- Brown Sugar sweetens the cookie and adds moisture due to the molasses present in brown sugar.
- Egg binds the cookie together and adds moisture.
- Baking Soda makes the cookie rise and promotes tenderness and spread.
- Cornstarch thickens the cookie dough and creates a soft, fudgy texture.
- 1 cup (9.2 oz, 266 gr) creamy peanut butter (or other nut butter of choice)
- 1 cup (8 oz, 227 gr) dark brown sugar, lightly packed (light brown sugar can be substituted)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 3 TBSP (0.8 oz, 22 gr) cornstarch
- 1 large egg
- granulated sugar for rolling, optional
- Prep: Preheat the oven to 350F (177 C). Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Mix: In a large mixing bowl with a hand mixer, beat the peanut butter and brown sugar on medium speed for 1 minute. Add the rest of the ingredients into the bowl and mix until combined.
- Shape: Scoop out about 2 TBSP of dough per cookie. Roll into a ball and roll in granulated sugar, if desired. Divide the cookies evenly between the two baking sheets and use a fork to press into the cookies to flatten and create a pattern on top.
- Bake at 350F (177 C) for 8 minutes. Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheet for about 5 minutes before removing them. They need time to set to hold their shape.
- Store cooled cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to one week.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 108
The links above are affiliate links, which pay me a small commission for my referral at no extra cost to you! Thank you for supporting Baker Bettie!