Learn how to toast coconut flakes that can be used as a dessert topping or mixed into cookies, muffins, pie filling, and cakes. Toasting brings out a more complex flavor in the coconut and creates a slightly crispier texture. Pin it for Later »
How to Toast Coconut Flakes
Skill Level: Beginner
Toasted coconut is a simple component that can be used as a topping for cupcakes, mixed into pastry cream for pie filling, or spread in between cake layers. Toasting the coconut brings out slightly nutty flavors and adds a slightly crispier texture.
Both sweetened and unsweetened coconut can be toasted following the same methods. Coconut can also be toasted to a light brown color for a slightly nutty taste and to a darker brown color for a deeper nutty flavor.
How to Toast Coconut Flakes on the Stove Top
Toasting coconut on the stove is best for small batches, about 1-2 cups.
Pour the coconut in a dry skillet and place it over medium/low heat. Watch the coconut closely and stir it frequently. The coconut will start to smell nutty and will begin turning brown.
How to Toast Coconut Flakes in the Oven
To toast large batches of coconut, anything over 2 cups, the oven method is the best.
Spread the coconut flakes out on a sheet pan in a thin layer. Bake at 325 F (163 C). Check the coconut every 5 minutes and stir until the coconut is your desired color. This should take about 10-15 minutes.
Uses for Toasted Coconut
- sweetened or unsweetened coconut flakes
- Stove-Top Method (best for up to 2 cups coconut)Pour the coconut flakes into a dry skillet that is wide enough to allow the coconut to be spread in a thin layer on the bottom of the pan.
- Heat over medium/low heat, stirring frequently, until the coconut smells nutty and begins turning brown.
- Oven Method (best for more than 2 cups of coconut)Pour the coconut flakes onto a sheet pan and spread into a thin even layer.
- Toast coconut the oven at 325 F (163 C), stirring about every 5 minutes. This should take about 10-15 minutes.
- A light brown color will result in a slightly nutty flavor while a darker brown color will result in a more pronounced nutty flavor.
- Store toasted coconut after it has completely cooled in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 month.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 0