My husband and I could not have more opposite diets. It is not uncommon for me to be drinking a green juice for breakfast while he is eating a cookie cake that he found on the discount rack at the grocery store. I am completely serious.
I think I spoiled him when we first met. I would pretty much cook and bake for him whatever he wanted because I loved seeing how excited he got about it. Usually he wanted chocolate chip cheesecake (his alltime favorite meal, and yes he considers it a meal), mexican food, hots wings, and anything sweet for breakfast like pancakes and french toast. And while all of these things are fine, they really aren’t what I crave. Especially for breakfast. I crave savory things in the morning more often than not, with a very rare sweet tooth for breakfast.
Once we started living together I realized that pleasing both of our palettes would be difficult. I still really haven’t figured out how to do it without us eating two completely separate meals. But there is one food that I just CANNOT believe we don’t agree on. Bacon… BACON! He seriously could not care less about bacon. He doesn’t hate it, he just wouldn’t care if he never had it. WHAT?! My junk food loving husband doesn’t like bacon? I just don’t get it. He makes no sense. (but I love him anyway)
But this morning I wanted to share with you how I make my bacon perfectly crisp. I think I have mentioned before how I love charred food. Things that are just on the edge of being burned. Bacon is the perfect subject for this love.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Cover baking sheet with tin foil if using for easy clean up
- Place cooling rack over baking sheet and arrange strips of bacon on the cooling rack
- Liberally sprinkle chopped rosemary (can use dried if that is all you have) and fresh cracked black pepper over the bacon
- Bake for 8-15 minutes (depending on bacon thickness) until completely browned
- Let cool for a few minutes and the bacon will finish crisping as it cools a bit