Strawberry Shortcake Pancakes
It has been the perfect Saturday morning.
I slept in until 730, which feels REALLY late to me. I went to the gym and got in my workout first thing. My husband and I walked to the grocery store (we don’t do that enough) and got a few things for breakfast. Then I made these pancakes…
I am finally starting to get comfortable working with coconut flour. The thing about coconut flour is that it absorbs liquid like a sponge. Therefore it takes a whole lot less coconut flour than traditional flour to do the same job. You also usually need to add more liquid.
I was so impressed with how well these turned out. They are even picky husband approved!
I also threw this fresh strawberry syrup together on a whim and it is spot one with flavors of strawberry shortcake! If you wanted to indulge a little more, coconut milk whipped cream would be perfect to kick this up even more!
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup almond milk (or coconut milk, or regular milk)
- 1 TBSP vanilla extract
- 2 TBSP honey (or agave, or 1 tsp stevia plus a TBSP of water)
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- oil for frying
- 1 cup chopped fresh strawberries
- 1 tbsp honey (or agave, or sweetener of choice)
InstructionsTo Make the Pancakes:
- In a large bowl combine the dry ingredients and whisk together breaking up any lumps from the coconut flour.
- In another bowl, whisk the eggs until fluffy (several minutes).
- Add the milk, vanilla, and honey and mix together.
- Add the wet ingredients into the dry and mix until incorporated.
- Let stand for 15 minutes. The mixture will appear very thin at first, but the coconut flour will begin absorbing the liquid and it will become more thick.
- Preheat and grease a griddle to medium-high heat.
- Scoop batter onto the griddle and use the back of a spoon or your scoop to spread out into a thin even layer.
- Cook for 3-5 minutes until browned before flipping. These do take longer to cook than traditional pancakes.
- Combine in a blender and blend to a smooth syrup.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 0