Summer Sunset Cocktail
Grocery shopping is seriously one of the highlights of my life. That may sound pathetic, but for some reason it is just very therapeutic and relaxing to me. I love leisurely strolling the isles looking for new ingredients to play around with. I get time to think. Time to let my creative mind wander. Time to relax.
To be honest, I would much rather go grocery shopping by myself than with anyone else. Most people see it as a chore, not as an event. Get in, get what you need, get out. However, my husband frequently insists that we do this together. I’m sure that it is partially to spend time together, but I am totally aware that it is mainly to keep me under control with the budget 🙂 I admit, this can be a challenge for me at times with all of the recipes creations rolling around in my brain.
But occasionally he surprises me and embraces the shopping creativity himself. Like this weekend. We were at the store just picking up a few things for dinner and my husband grabs some lemons and excitedly requests that we make some homemade lemonade. He then spotted the cherries and asked if it would be possible to put them together into a Cherry Lemonade.
I love seeing him getting excited about new food ventures, even if they are simple. I quickly agreed that I would figure it out. I also had the cherry infused rum in mind that has been sitting in my fridge since my boozy ice cream post as the perfect pair for this concoction!
I would say this was a “when life gives you lemons” moment, in a very literal sense. And though this was a more sweet than sour moment spent with my husband, we encounter many sour moments every week. Sometimes just work in general can feel sour, or like life giving you lemons. But I have been working very hard to “make lemonade” each day, figuratively speaking. When I can truly do this, life is a whole lot less stressful and a heck of a lot more enjoyable. Happy mid week hump everyone! Make some lemonade today, figuratively AND literally!
- 4 oz cherry lemonade (see recipe above)
- 1 oz cherry infused spiced rum (see below)
- splash of sparkling water
- Place 1 cup of cherries in a small bowl and pour in enough spiced rum to cover the cherries.
- Let cherries soak for at least 4 hours and up to 24 hours.
- Strain off liquid into a container and keep in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- Keep cherries for garnish
- Shake cherry lemonade and spiced rum in a shaker with ice.
- Pour over ice in a rocks glass.
- Top with a splash of sparkling water.
- Garnish with a lemon wedge and a cherry.
- Enjoy with a summer sunset!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 0