Get this simple recipe for vegan gluten free banana bread using no weird ingredients, only things that you have in your pantry!
I love my husband’s sweats. They are just so much more comfy and roomy than my own. On Saturday night I put them on before bed and then I never changed out of them. All day Sunday I lounged in his oversized cozy sweats that I went to bed in the night before. We snuggled, watched tv, took a nap, watched football, laughed, and just vegged out. And I didn’t even care how incredibly lazy that was. It felt awesome.
My friend posted a meme on facebook the other day that said “Stop the glorification of busy.” I usually hate those things. They are usually political and people just see them somewhere and repost them without really thinking. But this one was different. This one made me really stop and think. It really is true. Why do we glorify busy? I do it all the time. Being so proud of myself for the non-stop day I had. When truly I never got to spend any quality time with my husband, or kitties, or just time to myself. I’m trying to be more conscious of that.
This bread is a lazy day bread. Sometimes I love spending hours in the kitchen preparing baked goods. The process of creaming and sifting and measuring is therapeutic for me. But I do have days when I just want to throw everything together and be done with it. This is that kind of recipe. You literally put everything in the blender and then bake. So easy. Cleanup is a cinch. Which means more time to snuggle with your hubby, or your kitty, or your puppy, or just a blanky.
The other really awesome thing about this bread is it is naturally vegan and gluten free. I used ground oatmeal instead of flour (just make sure your oats are certified gluten free if you are making this for someone who is gluten intolerant) and the banana and peanut butter eliminate the need for eggs or butter! I really love the flavor and the texture that the ground oatmeal brought to this bread. It makes it feel very rustic and comforting. Perfect for a lazy day on the couch with a mug of hot coffee.
Note: I made this in my ninja blender. It is more of a food processor/blender hybrid. If you have a regular blender it is probably best to pulverize the oats and then mix everything together in a bowl instead. Though I have not tried it yet, I think a food processor would work well for this recipe. If the recipe is a bit too dry, try adding a few TBSP of water or non-dairy milk. It will be much thicker than a traditional banana bread and I needed no extra moisture, but depending on where you live and the humidity that day, it may be necessary. NOTE: The recipe has been edited based on some reader comments that the bread was too dry.
- 2½ cups rolled oats (make sure they are certified gluten free if you have a gluten intolerance)
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas (3 bananas if they are small, 2 very large bananas)
- ½ cup peanut butter
- ½ cup dark brown sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- non-dairy milk or water (if necessary)
- 1½ cup chocolate chips (I used Enjoy Life mini chocolate chips)
- banana slices for garnish if desired
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Lightly oil a loaf pan and set aside.
- Put rolled oats in a blender or food processor and pulse to a fine crumb.
- Add all of the remaining ingredients except the chocolate chips to the blender and blend until combined. You may need to scrape down the sides and then blend again to get completely combined. (it will not be completely smooth. The oatmeal will give it a grainyness and it will be very thick! Much thicker than a traditional banana bread). Alternatively, you can put the oats in a large bowl with all of the other ingredients and mix with a hand mixer.
- If the batter is very crumbly add a few TBSP of water or non-dairy milk to the mixture. You want the batter to be very thick but it should still hold together.
- Fold in 1 cup of the chocolate chips.
- Pour batter into prepared loaf pan.
- Top with remaining ½ cup of chocolate chips and banana slices if desired.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.