Light and tender rosemary lemon cinnamon rolls are a unique and delicious take on the classic and they happen to be vegan! Regular butter and eggs can be used for a non-vegan version if desired!
I absolutely needed to get in the kitchen today and be creative. I haven’t had a free moment to do that in so long. Sure I have cooked and thrown things together here and there, but it has been so long since I’ve had time to really create. To let the creative juices flow and to really take my time with ingredients and the process of baking. It felt amazing. It felt like home.
At the first hint of Fall I always get the itch for cinnamon rolls. But it isn’t quite cool enough yet to really get into Fall baking so I decided to do a cinnamon roll that was a bit brighter in flavor. I love lemon and cinnamon, and rosemary and cinnamon, and rosemary and lemon, so why not make this a menage a trois situation?
I just realized that I did cinnamon rolls during last years MoFo. Chili and cinnamon rolls anyone? If you aren’t familiar, get acquainted. All of the world should know of this. I’ll keep doing my part to educate. Consider it my community service.
Tools I used for this recipe…[AMAZONPRODUCTS asin=”B00LX1NEVC,B0006GNQ6I”]
- 1/4-ounce package yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1/2 cup warm non-dairy milk
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 melted vegetable shortening
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 flax egg or chia egg
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup melted vegan butter (such as Earth Balance)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 TBSP cinnamon
- zest of 2 lemons
- 1 TBSP finely chopped rosemary
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp finely chopped rosemary
- In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water and set aside.
- In a large bowl or the bowl of stand mixer mix milk, sugar, melted shortening, salt and flax or chia egg. Add 2 cups of flour and mix until smooth.
- Add yeast mixture.
- Mix in remaining flour until dough is easy to handle. Knead dough on lightly floured surface for 5 to 10 minutes or use the dough hook attachment on your stand mixer.
- Place in well-greased bowl, cover and let rise until doubled in size, usually 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- When doubled in size, punch down dough. Roll out on a floured surface into a 15 by 9-inch rectangle.
- Spread melted vegan butter over dough. Mix sugar,cinnamon, rosemary, and lemon zest together and sprinkle over buttered dough.
- Beginning at the 15-inch side, role up dough and pinch edge together to seal.
- Cut into 12 to 15 slices.
- Coat the bottom of baking pan with vegan butter.
- Place cinnamon roll slices close together in the pan and let rise until dough is doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Bake for about 30 minutes or until nicely browned.
- Meanwhile, mix lemon juice, zest, powdered sugar, and rosemary until the glaze reaches desired consistency.
- Spread over slightly cooled rolls.