Chocolate Chip Banana Pull Apart Bread
The way you choose to eat this bread says a lot about you.
Do you need a fork and a napkin?
Or do you just dive in with your hands and not feel embarrassed about licking your fingers?
Neither way is wrong… Except that I’m judging you if you choose a fork. Just saying.
Get all of your ingredients ready. You don’t want to be running around like a crazy person once this process starts. You will get flour everywhere. Trust me. The bread will be messy enough.
Roll out the dough, then use a pizza cutter to cut it into thick strips. Layer each strip with butter, cinnamon sugar, chocolate chips, and bananas. Stacking as you go. Then cut into chunks. This is getting epic!
Stand the layers into a greased loaf pan. If you have some pieces left over, cut them smaller and squeeze them into mini muffin tins. Mini pull apart muffins!
Now sit in front of the loaf pan and stare at it for an hour while it rises. You COULD try and do something else. But I doubt you will be able to concentrate.
Ok, I’m going to stop blabbering now so you can go make this bread. And if you do, I think you will want to be my friend for life. Then we could stare at bread rising together and it wouldn’t be so boring. We could tell each other jokes, and giggle, and stare at bread rising. Please?
- 1 TBSP active dry yeast
- 2 cups warm water
- 1 TBSP kosher salt
- 2 1/3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 stick butter, browned
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 TBSP ground cinnamon
- 3 large ripe bananas, finely chopped
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips
- In a large bowl combine yeast, water, salt, and flours
- Stir until it forms a wet, sticky dough. You can use clean hands for this, or a spoon. You can also use a dough hook of a mixer, but mix just until a ball forms.
- Cover with a clean towel or loosely with plastic wrap and let rise at room temperature for 2 hours. You can also let the dough slow rise in the fridge over night.
- Combine the cinnamon and sugar in a small bowl.
- Dust a clean flat surface with flour and sprinkle flour on top of the risen dough, a rolling pin and dust your hands.
- Take the dough out of the bowl and form into a ball by pulling the sides down to the bottom several times.
- If the dough is still very sticky, dust some more flour on top of the dough.
- Roll the dough out into a large rectangle.
- Using a pizza cutter, cut into 5 thick strips.
- Brush one strip with browned butter, sprinkle with cinnamon sugar, chopped bananas, and mini chocolate chips.
- Lay another strip of dough on top of the strip with toppings.
- Repeat the layering of ingredients on this strip, and continue until all strips are layered and topped.
- Cut the layered strips into 6-8 large chunks.
- Stand the layers up in a large loaf pan. If you have layers left over, cut them into smaller pieces and squish them into greased mini muffin tins.
- Brush the top of the loaf with more butter, and sprinkle with more cinnamon sugar and chocolate chips!
- Let rise for an hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes for the loaf and 10-13 minutes for the muffins.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 0