Sweet and Spicy Smoked Almonds
You know, I’ve been thinking… Paula Abdul really knew what’s up. Opposites DO attract. I think I always knew that, but I was thinking about that a lot while making and
inhaling eating these almonds. Spicy and Sweet. Sweet and Salty… and a little smoky. “They come together, cause opposites attract.”
I remember my sister having that Paula Abdul tape. She would play it in her walkman on long car rides. She would sing along and sometimes I would try to too, trying to be like my big sister. Then she would say to me “Kristin, if you are going to sing at least sing on tune!” Sisterly love.
Music was definitely not my forte. I always kind of wanted it to be, but it just never was. I can finally say that proudly! I just wasn’t meant to do music, I was meant to do something with food. I can say that for certain. What exactly that is, who knows? It really doesn’t matter at this point.
But back to these nuts. Have I said that they are the perfect snack yet? Because seriously. These are what I consider the perfect snack. So many contrasting flavors. And just enough crunch to keep me crunching.
I do feel, however, that I must put a warning on these. If not portioned out properly you will eat like all of them before you finish your beer. Seriously. They are like crack. Snack crack. But much healthier than crack! But possibly just as addicting. Consider yourself warned.
- 1 lb plain whole almonds
- 1/4 cup oil (I used coconut, you could also use canola or vegetable)
- 2 TBSP agave (or honey)
- 1 TBSP liquid smoke
- 1 TBSP cayenne pepper
- 1 TBSP fresh rosemary, minced
- 1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine oil, agave, liquid smoke, cayenne, rosemary, and salt in a medium bowl.
- Add almonds to the bowl and stir until well coated.
- Pour almonds onto a parchment paper lined sheet pan. (this will work without parchment, however your pan will be difficult to clean)
- Bake at 350 for 20 minutes.
- Stir the almonds at least twice while baking.
- Remove from the oven and let cool. The coating will still be sticky until cooled.
- Store cooled almonds in an airtight container.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 0