Brookies are a combination of a brownie and a cookie all baked into one delicious treat. Its the best of both worlds! These brookies start with a fudgy brownie on bottom and are topped with a chewy chocolate chip cookie layer!
So… what is a brookie? Brookies are the perfect combination of two of the best desserts: a fudgy brownie and a chewy chocolate chip cookie. I took my super easy fudgy brownie recipe and made it the bottom layer and topped it with my favorite chewy chocolate chip cookie to make one amazing dessert!
How to Make Brookies Bars
These bars are actually very quick and easy to make. Each layer is combined all in one bowl and no mixer is needed!
You can decide if you want the brownie layer to be on the top or bottom. I prefer to put the brownie layer on bottom as I think it look nicest with the cookie layer on top.
Step 1: Make the Brownie Layer
In a large mixing bowl, mix together all of the ingredients for the brownies all at once until well combined. Transfer the brownie batter into a prepared 8×8″ baking dish prepared with parchment paper or greased with non-stick spray.
Step 2: Make the Chocolate Chip Cookie Layer
Next, combine all of the ingredients for the cookie dough layer in a separate mixing bowl. No need to use a mixer here, you can just stir all of the ingredients together in the bowl with a spoon or rubber spatula.
Dollop the cookie dough over the top of the brownie batter. It will be a bit of a thinner texture than a scoopable cookie dough. This will make it easier to spread.
Use a rubber spatula or an offset spatula to spread the cookie dough layer evenly over the brownie batter. If it is difficult to spread, you can dampen your fingers and gently spread it out.
Top the cookie dough with a few more chocolate chips and if you want you can also add a little bit of flaky sea salt over the top to elevate the flavor.
Step 3: Bake & Cool
Bake the brookies on the center rack in the oven until set. Check the bars about halfway through baking and tent some foil over the top if the tops are browning too much.
Allow the brookies to cool for at least 30-45 minutes before slicing so that they will solidify. The fudgy brownie layer topped with the chewy cookie layer is such a decadent treat!
For the Brownie Layer
- 1 cup (196 gr) granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup (118 ml) oil or melted butter, slightly cooled
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 cup (60 gr) all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup (35 gr) cocoa powder (natural or dutch processed)
- 1/8 tsp salt
For the Chocolate Chip Cookie Layer
- 1 stick (1/2 cup, 113 gr) unsalted butter, melted
- 3/4 cup (170 gr) dark brown sugar, lightly packed (light brown sugar can be used, but will be slightly less chewy)
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup plus 1/4 cup (150 gr) all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (170 gr) chocolate chips + more for topping
- Preheat oven to 350ºF (177 C) and line a 9x9" square baking dish with parchment paper or grease the bottom and sides.
- BROWNIE LAYER: In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, and salt (if using) until well combined.
- Add the oil or butter and the eggs into the bowl with the dry ingredients. Whisk the ingredients together until well combined. The batter will be quite thick.
- Pour the brownie batter into the prepared pan and use a rubber spatula to smooth out.
- COOKIE LAYER: Combine the melted butter and brown sugar in a large bowl until combined. Mix in the egg and the vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the salt, baking soda, and flour. Add the dry ingredients into the mixing bowl with the other ingredients and mix until just incorporated.5
- Bake at 350 F (177 C) for 30 minutes until a tester comes out with moist crumbs. Slightly under baking them will keep them extra moist and chewy. Check it about 15 minutes into baking and tent with foil if the top is getting too brown.
- Let cool before slicing.
- Store cooled brookies in an airtight container at room temperature for 4-5 days.