Cranberry Orange Biscotti
These cranberry orange biscotti are a holiday take on the classic Italian cookie. These biscotti are crisp and flavorful and are perfect for gifting because they keep well for an extended period of time.
- 3 cups (360 gr) all-purpose flour (measured properly by spooning into measuring cups without packing in and leveling off)
- 3/4 cup (150 gr) granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup (56 gr) light brown sugar, lightly packed
- 1/4 tsp (1 gr) kosher salt
- 2 tsp (9 gr) baking powder
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) vegetable or canola oil
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 TBSP orange zest (takes about 1 medium orange)
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 1 1/2 cups (6 oz bag, 170 gr) dried cranberries
- sanding sugar or turbinado sugar for topping (optional)
- Prep: Preheat oven to 350 F (180 C). Line a half sheet pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- Sift Dry Ingredients: In a large mixing bowl sift the flour, granulated sugar, brown sugar (you have to sort of work that through the sieve), salt, and baking powder. Give the ingredients a quick whisk to evenly distribute. Alternatively, if you do not have a sieve, you can whisk the ingredients together thoroughly.
- Whisk Wet Ingredients: Combine the oil, eggs, orange zest, and almond extract in a small mixing bowl and whisk together.
- Mix Dough: Add the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and use a spoon or a rubber spatula to stir the ingredients together. The mixture will be somewhat dry and shaggy. Add the dried cranberries into the bowl and stir in.
- Knead & Shape: Quickly knead the dough a few times in the bowl until it all comes together as one cohesive dough. Shape the dough into a log about 4" (10 cm) wide.
- First Bake: If desired, brush the logs with egg wash and sprinkle with coarse sugar. This is optional. Bake at 350 F (180 C) for 25-30 minutes until golden brown on the outside and the edges are all set. Allow the logs to cool for about 15 minutes. Reduce the oven temperature to 325 F (163 C).
- Slice & Second Bake: While still warm, slice the log across the short side about 1/2" (1.25 cm) thick. Lay the pieces cut side down and bake at 325 F (163 C) for 12 minutes. Flip each piece over and bake for another 10-12 minutes until the outside of the cookies feel toasted but they still give a little when pressed in. They will crisp up more when cooled.
- Store: Once completely cooled, store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 month or in the freezer for up to 3 months.