Old Fashioned Chewy Molasses Cookies
- 1 1/2 sticks (3/4 cup, 170 gr) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup (100 gr) granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup (170 gr) dark brown sugar, lightly packed
- 2/3 cup (205 gr) unsulphured molasses
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 2 tsp (9gr) baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp (6 gr) ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp (4 gr) ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp (2 gr) cardamom (can sub ground clove if preferred)
- 1/2 tsp (2 gr) kosher salt
- 2 1/4 cups (270 gr) all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup (50 gr) granulated sugar for rolling dough balls in
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fit with the paddle attachment, or in a large bowl with hand mixer, cream together the butter with the granulated sugar and brown sugar on medium-high speed until light and fluffy- about 3 minutes.
- Add the egg and molasses to the mixing bowl and mix again until it is incorporated.
- Add the baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, cardamom (or clove), and salt into the mixing bowl. Mix until incorporated. Scrape down the mixing bowl and mix again to ensure the spices are evenly distributed.
- Add the flour to the mixing bowl and mix until incorporated. This should only take about 30-45 seconds of mixing. Do not over-mix.
- Cover the mixing bowl with plastic wrap or foil and transfer to the refrigerator to chill until for at least 2 hours to firm up the dough.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F (170 C). Line three sheet pans with parchment paper and set aside.
- Scoop dough balls about 1 1/2 TBSP each and roll into a smooth ball between your palms. Roll the dough ball in sugar and then transfer to the parchment lined baking sheets. Give the cookies enough space to spread out. I baked 10 cookies per sheet pan.
- Bake at 350 F (170 C) for 10-12 minutes, until the edges are set and the middles look just slightly under done.
- Allow to cool on the baking sheets for about 5 minutes before transferring to a a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
Recipe heavily adapted from The Baker's Manual