How to make easy vegan chocolate chip cookies with few ingredients and no “weird” ingredients. These cookies are simple and turn out chewy and soft!
I’m going to try something new here at Baker Bettie. I have been wanting to make some baking tutorial videos for a while, so I decided on a whim to just go ahead and try it. I wanted to go a little bit more in depth about the science of vegan baking and vegan substitutions and making a video seemed like a good place to start.
Bare with me for my first try. The video is a bit long and that whole thing about the camera eating up energy is so true. Next time I’ll be a bit more animated! But I hope you enjoy it and that you learn a little something about vegan baking.
The traditional recipe starts with creaming a sugar with a solid fat. In the original recipe the solid fat is butter. But for a vegan option you can use any vegan solid fat. This could be vegetable shortening that is vegan, vegan margarine, or a dairy free butter substitute such as Earth Balance. You could also use a nut butter if you want that flavor in your cookie.
The next step is to add something to help bind the cookie together and also leaven it a bit. In the original recipe this is an egg. You want 1 eggs equivalent of an egg replacement. Ener-G egg replacer is always a good option but I hardly ever have that on hand.
Alternatively, you can mix 1 tsp of corn starch or arrowroot powder with 1/2 tsp of baking powder and 3 TBSP of water. This is essentially a homemade egg replacement. Chia egg or flax egg would also be a great option. Use what you have available.
The recipe comes together quickly with adding in flour and the chocolate chips. Enjoy life is a specifically vegan brand of chocolate chips, however quite a bit of dark chocolate is also vegan.
It is as simple as that. 6 Ingredients and you have delicious vegan chocolate chip cookies! This base dough could also be used to make tons of various flavors. Just add in whatever extracts, spices or mixins you want and play with the variations!
I go more in depth in the baking science on the video so please feel free to watch and let me know what you think!
- 1/2 cup vegan butter (earth balance, vegan margarine, vegetable shortening, nut butter)
- 1 cup vegan sugar (dark brown muscovado sugar or whatever sugar you prefer)
- 1 tsp cornstarch or arrowroot powder
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 3 TBSP water
- 1 cup + 2 TBSP all-purpose flour
- 1 cup vegan chocolate chips or chunks
- Preheat oven to 375ºF.
- Cream together the vegan butter and sugar together until light and fluffy (about 3 minutes).
- Whisk together the cornstarch, baking powder, and water until smooth. Mix into the creamed batter.
- Stir in the flour then the chocolate chips until combined.
- Bake at 375ºF until just lightly browned on the edges and middle still looks undercooked. About 8-10 minutes.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 228