Mini Pie Cookies with Chocolate and Cream Cheese
Homemade mini pie cookies- aka mini hand pies- using store-bought dough are the quickest way to a flaky treat! Filled with silky chocolate and tangy cream cheese, they are the perfect two-bite snack.
- Skill Level: Beginner
- Component Used: All-Purpose Pie Crust
These mini pie cookies are the cutest! They are perfect for a breakfast treat, an afternoon snack, or a gift to share with others. They’re easily portable and make a great dessert for a packed lunch.
But my favorite thing about them is how easy they are to make! If you want to get to these pies in a hurry, you can use store-bought pie dough and easily whip these up. I sometimes keep pre-made dough in my freezer for just this reason.
If you’re interested in going all out with these mini pies and want to make homemade crust, see my tutorial on How to Make Pie Crust.
Filling Ideas for Pie Cookies
The great thing about these mini pies is that you can customize them in so many different ways. I chose to make a tangy cream cheese filling with chocolate chips. But you might choose to include jam or marshmallows!
Here are some other flavor combinations that you might enjoy.
- Spiced cookie butter with white chocolate chips
- Mixed berry jam with dark chocolate chips
- Lemon curd with fresh strawberry slices
- Hazelnut spread with marshmallow cream
- Cherry pie filling with a little almond extract
- 2 rolled pie crusts (store bought or homemade pie dough)
- 226 grams (1 cup, 8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 50 grams (¼ cup) granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pinch kosher salt
- 37 grams (¼ cup) chocolate chips (I used 60% bittersweet)
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- coarse, raw, or granulated sugar (for sprinkling)
- Preheat oven to 350°F/ 175°C.
TO Make the Filling:
- In a saucepan over medium-low heat, combine cream cheese (226 grams, 1 cup), granulated sugar (50 grams, ¼ cup), vanilla extract (1 teaspoon), and salt (1 pinch). Heat until cream cheese is melted and then whisk until all of the sugar is dissolved. Set aside.
- Let the filling cool completely before rolling out the pie dough.
To make the hand pies:
- Roll out pie dough on a lightly floured surface. Roll out using a rolling pin until it's thin, about an ⅛ inch (0.3 cm) thick.
- Use a 2 inch (5 cm) round cookie cutter to cut out circles in the dough. Place cut out dough on a parchment lined cookie sheet. Repeat with both pie crusts.
- Fill each round with about 1 teaspoon of the cooled cream cheese mixture and 3-4 chocolate chips.
- Cover each filled round with another pie dough round and press down with your fingers to seal the edges. Use a fork to crimp the edges.
- Combine the egg (1 large) and water (1 tablespoon) for the egg wash together and whisk vigorously until well combined and very smooth. You can add a bit more water if needed to thin out. Brush the egg wash on the mini pies.
- Sprinkle coarse sugar generously over the tops.
- Optional: Cut decorative slits in each mini pie with a pairing knife.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes, until lightly browned.
- Let cool on a wire rack.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 0