Chocolate Cream Cheese Mini Hand Pies
I cannot sleep. Facebook is a frenzy right now and, like a train wreck, I cannot look away.
There are several things in life that pretty much make me want to roll over and die.
#1: Confrontations and #2: Discussing Politics. And right about now these things are pretty much one in the same.
It isn’t that I don’t care about politics. I do. And I try to stay informed as much as possible about both parties. But why the heck is it so freaking difficult for people to discuss politics without confrontations and hatred coming out? It just really gets to me.
If there is one thing I have learned from working in the mental health field, it would be the art of trying to see things from someone else’s perspective without passing judgement. Admittedly this is one of the most difficult skills I have tried to master and something that I struggle with every single day. But there is just something about truly trying to understand, without judgement, why someone has the point of view that is so incredibly different from my own that I love. Asking myself “why does this person feel so passionately about this.” And more importantly, “Why do I feel so passionately different about it?”
I wish this dialogue could happen more. I wish I could sit down with a few people who feel passionately different than me and have a few of these pies. We could listen to each other. Ask each other questions. Explain ourselves. Try to understand one another. Learn from one another. Come up with ideas together! AND eat some pie! Hey, I bet we would even like each other when all is said and done even though we probably will still have different views. Wouldn’t that be neat?!
Or… we could just eat some of these Chocolate Cream Cheese Itty Bitty Hand Pies and avoid politics all together. Your choice.
- store bought pie dough or your favorite recipe
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- pinch salt
- chocolate chips (I used 60% bittersweet)
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup water
- sanding sugar
- In a sauce pan over medium heat, combine cream cheese, sugar, vanilla, and salt.
- Heat until cream cheese is melted and the sugar is dissolved.
- Let the filling cool before rolling out the pie dough.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Roll pie dough out very thin.
- Use a 2 inch cookie cutter to cut out circles.
- Place cut out dough on a parchment lined cookie sheet.
- Fill each round with 1 tsp cream cheese mixture and about 3 chocolate chips.
- Cover each filled round with another pie dough round.
- Use a fork to crimp around the edges.
- Whisk together the egg and 1/4 cup water.
- Brush each filled pastry with egg wash and sprinkle with sanding sugar.
- Cut decorative slits in each mini pie.
- Bake at 350 for 12-14 minutes, until lightly browned.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 0