This rich hot fudge sauce is so easy to make with sweetened condensed milk and can be prepared on the stove top or in the microwave. The sauce is thick and gooey and perfect as a topping for ice cream or even as a glaze for cake. Pin it for Later »
Hot Fudge Sauce Recipe Overview
Skill Level: Beginner | Techniques Used: Double Boiler
Making homemade hot fudge sauce is incredibly easy to do. The process is identical to making homemade fudge candy with only a few different ingredient ratios.
This easy hot fudge sauce can be made on the stove top or in the microwave if you prefer. The stove top method utilizes a double boiler to prevent the chocolate from burning and seizing which makes this method more forgiving. However, if you pay very close attention, the microwave method results in a hot fudge sauce from start to finish in less than 5 minutes.
Hot Fudge Sauce Techniques and Science
- Sweetened condensed milk is used for this hot fudge sauce to eliminate the need for boiling sugar to a very specific temperature. This makes this sauce essentially fool-proof!
- Chocolate can burn at a very low temperature, 115-120 F (46-49 C). For this reason it is extremely important to use a double boiler if using the stove top method, and to heat in short bursts if using the microwave method.
- As the sauce cools it starts to solidify but still remains soft. This makes it a perfect glaze for cakes as well!
- Butter adds richness to the sauce and keeps it soft as it cools.
- Sweetened Condensed Milk is a reduced form of milk cooked with sugar, creating a thick syrup. This eliminates the need for a candy thermometer since the sugar syrup is already in the perfect state.
- Chocolate and Cocoa Powder give the sauce it’s chocolate flavor. The combination of the two gives the sauce a more intense chocolate flavor, while making the perfect fudgy consistency.
Stove Top Method
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 95
The links above are affiliate links, which pay me a small commission for my referral at no extra cost to you! Thank you for supporting Baker Bettie!