I’m currently in full veg out mode. Lounging in bed way longer than anyone should ever stay in bed, watching Orange is the New Black, sipping my mug of coffee, and occasionally reaching over to pet my purring kitty. I need this today. My body is saying, “Thank you. Quit abusing me please!” I have a week off of school (though I am still working most nights) and I plan to use it to recuperate from my sleep deprivation and to bake as much and as leisurely as possible.
I’ve been playing with oat flour a lot lately. I’m pretty into it. It gives baked goods a really lovely rustic texture and the perfect amount of chew. It is also a great flour to use in vegan baking because oat flour has a much higher protein content than wheat flour which is helpful since we are nixing the eggs. I also love it in gluten free baking because the end result never feels like an alternative recipe. Oats are a familiar flavor and texture for people and I think they feel less intimidating than some other alternative flours.
Making your own oat flour is so easy! All you have to do is put rolled oats (certified gluten free of course if you are gluten intolerant!) in a blender or food processor and pulse until it is the consistency of flour. The time for this will vary depending on the strength of your kitchen appliance. Then, I always sift the flour. I don’t have a great blender so there is always a good deal of oat crumb that is too big to go through the sifter. So I add all of the bigger crumb back into the blender for one more whirl through, sift again, and store it all in an airtight container. Of course you can always buy oat flour in the store. It’s a little pricier than making it yourself but a little more convenient if you don’t want to pull out your blender.
I really want you guys to try this recipe. Even if you aren’t vegan or gluten free. I promise it does not taste like an alternative to a traditional cookie. It is an amazingly simple and delicious dessert that just so happens to be vegan and gluten free. And while you’re at it, you should check out these brownies and banana bread that I made with oat flour too. They just so happen to be vegan and gluten free as well and that bread has been blowing up like crazy on pinterest. Oat flour. Get into it.
- 1 cup your favorite vanilla yogurt (I used SoDelicious Non Dairy Coconut Milk yogurt)
- ½ cup peanut butter
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2¼ cups oat flour (make sure they are certified gluten free if you have a gluten intolerance)
- 8 oz dark chocolate chips or chunks
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- In a large bowl, combine yogurt, peanut butter, and brown sugar and mix until well combined.
- Add the baking soda, and oat flour and and mix until combined (the batter will be thick)
- Fold in the chocolate chips or chunks.
- Using clean hands, pat the mixture into a 10" cast iron skillet or baking dish (mixture will be thick).
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.