Cheddar Rosemary Savory Waffles
Rosemary and cheddar savory waffles are perfect for breakfast or dinner! Serve simply with butter and maple syrup or under crispy fried chicken!
Almost every Sunday morning my husband and I have the same conversation. What’s for breakfast? I always push for something savory, he always pushes for sweet.
So on Sunday morning when he requested waffles I proposed a compromise. Savory waffles with cheddar cheese and rosemary but still slathered in real sweet maple syrup. He was on board. And I was so pumped. I mean… waffles filled with cheddar? Come. On!
It’s almost strange how gross sweets sound to me in the morning. I mean. I’m a baker. Aren’t I supposed to love sugar at all times of the day? Well, I don’t. In fact I really don’t love things that are crazy overly sweet ever.
If you read my blog enough you know that I almost always have to throw in something savory or salty or herby or liquory into my baked goods. Like the time I went crazy and added jalapeno to cookies, or goat cheese to cookies, or liquid smoke to cookies, or whiskey to cookies… I really like cookies.
But today we’re not talking cookies, we’re talking waffles. Light and fluffy waffles that are perfectly crisp on the outside. There are two basic ways to make waffles. One way involves beating egg whites to stiff peaks and folding them into the batter. And while this method is sure to create light and airy waffles like these,
I believe you can achieve something comparable by creating a batter without the extra step of beating egg whites. So that is what we are doing. The key here is the way the batter is mixed. We’re using that muffin mixing method that we’ve been talking about this week.
I know we aren’t making muffins, but just go with it. We’re trying to keep that gluten under control. Not sure how to do that? Don’t worry, I show you how to do it here.
The end of the week is near and I know you’re working for the weekend. I know I sure as heck am. Here is what your weekend should look like: Sleep in, relax, have some fun, be a tiny bit productive (so you don’t feel so guilty on Monday), and treat yourself to these waffles. Lovely, light and airy, cheesy and herby, waffles slathered with butter and real maple syrup. You deserve it.
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 TBSP baking powder
- 2 TBSP sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1 TBSP fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, finely shredded (plus more for sprinkling)
- 3 eggs
- 1 stick unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- Preheat a waffle iron on medium heat.
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, sugar, salt, and cinnamon. Whisk in the rosemary and cheddar cheese.
- In another bowl, whisk together the eggs, melted butter, and milk.
- Pour the liquid ingredients into the dry ingredients and quickly fold together just until the flour is moistened.
- Spray the waffle iron with non-stick spray and pour in the batter. Cook until steam is no longer rising from the waffle iron.
- Serve with butter, additional cheddar cheese, and real maple syrup.