These Chocolate Chip Coffee Cake Muffins are topped with a crunchy pecan streusel topping! Sour cream is the secret ingredient in these moist and fluffy muffins!
My office is full of stress. I am a case manager at a community mental health center and I share an office with many other case managers. It is an amazing job. I love the work and the people. But it can be very stressful.
I am very new there and my co-workers have been so fantastic helping me navigate the world of case management. But I am beginning to notice the international sign for displaying one’s stress level. It mostly involves a loud sigh, or series of sighs, the second you enter the door and my office is full of this behavior. So to brighten my co-worker’s day I decided to bake them something special. And this morning as people entered, sighed, and shuffled over to the coffee pot you could hear “oh man! who brought muffins!?” with a glimmer of excitement in their voice. There is just something about homemade baked goods that always seems to make things better. . .
For the Muffin Batter
- 1 1/2 sticks (3/4 cup, 6 oz, 170 gr) unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups (10.5 oz, 298 gr) granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 TBSP vanilla extract
- 1 cup (8.6 oz, 244 gr) sour cream
- 1/4 cup (2 fl oz, 59 ml) milk
- 1 tsp Morton kosher Salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 1/2 cups (10.6 oz, 300 gr) all-purpose flour
- 12 oz (340 gr) bittersweet chocolate chips
For the Streusel Topping
- 3/4 cups (5.6 oz, 159 gr) brown sugar, lightly packed
- 3/4 cups (3.2 oz, 90 gr) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 stick (1/4 cup, 2 oz, 57 gr) softened butter
- 1 TBSP (0.5 fl oz, 15 ml) water
For the Muffins
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Beat butter and sugar with a mixer fitted with a paddle attachment until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time while mixer is on slow speed.
- While mixing on slow speed add milk, sour cream and vanilla. With mixer still on add salt, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and slowly add flour until all incorporated. Mix in chocolate chips.
- Line baking tins with liners.
- Fill liners with batter about 3/4 full.
- Bake for 23-26 minutes, or until lightly browned and a toothpick stuck in the middle comes out clean.
For the Pecan Streusel Topping
- Mix all ingredients together until crumbly.
- Top muffins with 1 tbsp of the mixture before baking if desired.