These easy sourdough muffins are the perfect solution to use up some of your sourdough discard! Adding some sourdough discard to this muffin recipe gives it a slightly tangy flavor that is so delicious!
- 1 1/2 cups (180 gr) all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup (130 gr) granulated sugar
- 1 TBSP (14 gr) baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon (*optional)
- 1 large egg, room temperature (*see note for vegan option)
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) whole milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) liquid fat (oil or melted butter, shortening, lard, or coconut oil)
- 1/2 cup (120 gr) sourdough discard (make sure you stir down the bubbles before measuring
- Prep: Preheat the oven to 425 F (220 C). Line a muffin tin with muffin liners or spray with nonstick spray.
- Mix Dry Ingredients: In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the all-purpose flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon if using.
- Mix the Wet Ingredients: In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg, milk, vanilla, oil, and sourdough discard until well combined.
- Combine Wet & Dry Ingredients: Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir with a spoon or rubber spatula until just combined. The batter will be lumpy. Do not over-mix or the muffins will become tough. If using, fold in any add-ins.
- Divide the batter evenly between the 10 muffin cups.
- Bake at 425 F for about 10 minutes and then turn the oven heat down to 350 F (175 C) for about 5-7 more minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with moist crumbs.
- Vegan Muffins: Substitute the egg for 1/4 cup applesauce or mashed banana.
- Gluten Free Muffins: Substitute the all-purpose flour for a good gluten free baking blend.
- Blueberry Muffins: Fold in 2 cups (10 oz, 300 gr) fresh or frozen blueberries.
- Cinnamon Raisin Muffins: Add 1 tsp cinnamon and 1 cup (5.3 oz, 150 gr) raisins
- Chocolate Chip Muffins: Fold in 2 cups (10 oz, 300 gr) chocolate chips.
- Cranberry Orange Muffins: Add 1 TBSP orange zest and 1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries. Top with an orange powdered sugar glaze.
- Cheddar Bacon Muffins: Fold in 4 strips of crumbled cooked bacon and 1 cup of shredded sharp cheddar cheese. Sprinkle more shredded cheddar on top of the muffins before baking.