These blueberry cookies are soft, fluffy, and tender and are topped with a tangy lemon glaze! Perfect for summer gatherings!
Blueberry Cookies Overview
- Skill Level: Beginner
- Techniques Used: The Creaming Method for Cookies
- Components Used: Lemon Glaze for Cookies and Cakes
These blueberry cookies are so unique and one of my favorite desserts to bring to a summer gathering. Everyone is always so surprised at how delicious these little soft cookies are, and they are so easy to make!
To make the cookies, blueberries are added to a basic butter cookie dough and then they are topped with a tart lemon glaze. The lemon glaze pairs so perfectly with the blueberry flavor!
Should I use Fresh or Frozen Blueberries in my Cookies?
You can use fresh or frozen blueberries in your blueberry cookies, however, fresh blueberries will work a little better. Frozen blueberries tend to leak a lot more liquid than fresh blueberries do and they will also stain your batter purple.
How to Make Blueberry Cookies
Blueberry cookies start with a basic butter cookie base, which means we will be using the creaming method for cookies for this recipe.
Step 1: Cream Your Butter and Sugar Together
Start with room temperature butter and cream it together with your sugar until it is very light and fluffy. This typically takes about 3 full minutes.
Step 2: Mix in the Eggs, Vanilla, and Lemon
Mix in the eggs one at a time, then add the vanilla, lemon juice, and lemon zest.
Step 3: Mix in the Dry Ingredients
Add the dry ingredients into the mixing bowl and mix until just incorporated. You don’t want to mix too much during this part or your cookies will become dry and tough.
Step 4: Fold in the Blueberries
Gently fold the blueberries into the dough until they are incorporated. A few will likely break during this process, it is somewhat unavoidable.
Step 5: Bake the Cookies
Scoop cookie dough balls, about 2 TBSP each, onto a parchment lined baking sheet and bake until golden brown. Allow the cookies to cool completely before glazing.
Step 6: Glaze the Cookies
Drizzle the lemon glaze all over the tops of the cookies. You can even add a bit more lemon zest if you like as well to give that visual of lemon in the cookies.
Watch the Video Tutorial!
For the Cookie Dough
- 1/2 cup (1 stick, 110 gr) unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup (150 gr) granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp lemon zest
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 1 TBSP (15 ml) lemon juice
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 2 cups (240 gr) all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (150 gr) fresh blueberries
For the Lemon Glaze
- 1 cup (126 gr) powdered, confectioners, or icing sugar
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- 2-4 TBSP (30-59 ml) lemon juice
For the Cookie Dough
- Preheat oven to 325 F (160 C).
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, or in a large bowl with a hand mixer, cream the butter, sugar, and lemon zest until light and fluffy- about 3 minutes on medium-high speed.
- Add the egg and mix until just incorporated. Add the lemon juice and vanilla extract and mix until combined.
- Add the salt, baking powder, and baking soda and mix until evenly distributed. Scraped down the bowl.
- Add the flour and mix until it is absorbed and then stop the mixer. It is important not to over-mix the dough.
- Fold in the blueberries gently as to now break them.
- Use a small scoop (about 2 tbsp size) and place rounded mounds of dough on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for 11-14 minutes until the bottoms look slightly browned (the edges and tops will not brown).
- Allow to cool on cooling racks before glazing.
For the Lemon Glaze
- Whisk the ingredients together in a bowl until you have a consistency that can be drizzled. If it becomes too thin, you can add more powdered sugar to thicken it back up.
- Drizzle over the cooled cookies.
Store cookies loosely covered at room temperature for 3-4 days. They will get very sticky if you put them in an airtight container.
*You can use frozen blueberries in these but be aware that they will leak a lot of liquid and will cause the cookies to spread more and will stain the batter purple.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 0