Whipped chocolate ganache frosting is an incredibly rich and decadent frosting that is a simple alternative to buttercream. A simple ganache mixture is whipped into an airy frosting creating something that resembles a very rich chocolate whipped cream. Use whipped chocolate ganache frosting to frost cakes and cupcakes, fill whoopie pies, or even to fill cream puffs! Pin it for Later »
Whipped Chocolate Ganache Frosting Overview
- Skill Level: Beginner
- Techniques Used: How to Make Ganache
Whipped chocolate ganache frosting is made simply by whipping cooled ganache. Because it contains heavy cream, it can be whipped into a light and fluffy texture.
After ganache is whipped into a frosting, it has the texture and flavor of a very rich chocolate whipped cream. However, it is much sturdier than traditional whipped cream. This makes a great alternative to buttercream frosting.
How to Make Whipped Chocolate Ganache Frosting
Making whipped chocolate ganache frosting is incredibly simple to create. It only requires 2 ingredients: chocolate and cream. The two are melted together and then whipped after being cooled.
Step 1: Make a 1:1 Ratio Ganache
A 1:1 ratio of chocolate to cream by weight is the most typical ganache ratio used for whipped ganache frosting. Use chocolate chips or chop up a chocolate bar into small pieces.
Heat heavy cream up until almost boiling and pour it over the chocolate. Let the cream and chocolate sit for about 3 minutes then whisk the two together until smooth.
Step 2: Let the Ganache Cool
Put the ganache in the refrigerator and let it cool until it firms up, about 1 hour.
Step 3: Whip the Ganache
Whip the ganache in a stand mixer with a whisk attachment or with a hand mixer until it becomes light and fluffy. Use to frost cupcakes and cakes, to fill whoopie pies, or even to fill cream puffs or eclairs!
Tips, Tricks, & Techniques
- A 1:1 ganache ratio is the most common used for this frosting, however if you want a more mild flavored chocolate frosting you could use a ratio of 1 part chocolate to 1.5 parts heavy cream.
- You can also change up the flavor of this whipped frosting by flavoring the ganache. Steep fresh herbs in the cream or add spices and extracts right into the ganache. For a detailed list of ideas of how to create different flavors, check out the post on how to make ganache.
- Store unused frosting in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. If the frosting feels too stiff, allow it sit at room temperature for some time before piping it.
Whipped Ganache Frosting Ingredient Functions
- Chocolate is the flavor of the frosting. Use bittersweet or semi-sweet chocolate.
- Heavy Cream, Whipping Cream, or Double Cream thins out the texture of the chocolate and makes allows the ganache to be whipped into a fluffy texture.
- Salt is optional but rounds out the flavor of the frosting and is highly recommended.
- 10 oz (280 gr) semi-sweet or bittersweet chocolate
- 10 oz (1 1/4 cup, 280 gr) heavy cream, whipping cream, or double cream
- large pinch of salt
- Chop your chocolate into small pieces and place in a bowl.
- Put your cream in a saucepan and place over medium heat. Allow cream to heat until simmering and almost boiling. Alternatively you can heat the cream in the microwave.
- Pour the hot cream over the chopped chocolate and let stand for about 3 minutes. Add your salt into the bowl at this point if using.
- Put your whisk into the center of the chocolate/cream mixture and begin whisking in small circles going in one direction and slowly moving outward in bigger circles until the mixture is smooth.
- Put the ganache in the refrigerator for about 1 hour to firm up.
- Put the ganache in the bowl of a stand mixer fit with a whisk attachment or use a hand mixer and whip the ganache on medium/high speed until light and fluffy. This will take about 5 minutes.
- Yield: This is enough frosting to frost a 9" x 13" (22 x 33 cm) cake, or a 2 layer 9" (22 cm) round cake, or about 12 cupcakes.
- Store unused frosting in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 0