Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
This basic chocolate buttercream frosting is incredibly easy to make and will come together in just about 10 minutes. The long mixing time will result in a silky smooth frosting that is intense in chocolate flavor.
Chocolate Buttercream Frosting Overview
- Skill Level: Beginner
This classic chocolate buttercream frosting is an American style buttercream with cocoa powder mixed in. This frosting is intense in chocolate flavor and is so easy to make.
Tips for Making the Best Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
- Make sure you beat the frosting for the full 8-10 minutes to ensure it is silky smooth.
- Use a good quality cocoa powder for the best chocolate flavor.
- Taste the frosting as you go and add more cocoa powder and/or more sugar to taste.
- 2 sticks (1 cup, 224 gr) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3 cups (360 gr) powdered sugar
- 3/4 cup (80 gr) cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp vanilla
- about 1/4 cup (60 ml) milk
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fit with a paddle attachment, or a large mixing bowl with a hand mixer, beat the butter by itself at high speed about about 1 minute until creamy. Scrape down the bowl.
- Add 1 cup of the powdered sugar, 1/2 cup of cocoa powder, the salt, and vanilla. Beat at high speed for about 5 minutes. During this time you can add milk little by little to get the mixture to come together. Stop the mixer and scrape down the sides of the bowl periodically, and add the rest of the sugar.
- Taste the frosting after beating for 5 minutes and add in the rest of the cocoa powder if desired, depending on how intensely chocolate you want your frosting to be. You might need a little more milk at this point as well.
- Continue beating on high speed for about 3-5 more minutes until the frosting is fluffy and silky smooth.
- This recipe will frosting 12-16 cupcakes, a 1- 9x13" sheet cake, or an 8" or 9"- 2 layer cake.