These easy chocolate chip cookies only require 5 ingredients! With only butter, flour, sugar, egg, and chocolate chips you can make great chocolate chip cookies!
Cookies equal comfort. Especially warm right out of the oven eating them straight off the cookie sheet. It just feels like warmth, love, and home. And while I love fancy cookies, sometimes I just want easy chocolate chip cookies.
I don’t think there is any secret by now that I have a certain
obsession affection for cookies. Especially the kind mentioned above. I have this memory of visiting my aunt in Alabama when I was very young. I needed to take a bath and I was protesting. (I apparently hated being clean.) My aunt told me “if you take a bath I will have warm chocolate chip cookies for you when you get out…” Sold. That’s all it took. Bribery via warm chocolate chip cookies and I’m diving into the tub.
I think sometimes people who don’t bake very often do not realize that cookies can really be a simple thing to make. You really only need 5 ingredients to make fantastic easy chocolate chip cookies and I bet most of us already have them in our pantry! I created this simple chocolate chip cookie recipe that comes together quickly and uses things that you probably only have in your pantry!
NOTE: If you are wanting an easy vegan recipe, check out my post specifically for Easy Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies.
#1: Butter: The fat in the butter is important for creating tenderness and flavor. The moisture from the butter is also necessary to hold the cookie together and to create some tenderness when it heats in the oven and steam is released. This recipe is created for the use of regular butter, salted or unsalted. You can substitute margarine or vegan butter, but results will vary.
#2: Sugar: Sugar is for the purposes of sweetness as well as structure in the cookie. Brown sugar gives the cookies chew and moisture. Granulated sugar will not work for this recipe. You must use light or dark brown sugar.
#3: Egg: A large egg is preferable. This recipe has been made successfully with other vegan egg substitutions (such as Ener-G egg replacer) however, results will vary. Baking is science! When you alter recipes the results will also be altered. Check out my recipe for 6 ingredient vegan chocolate chip cookies if you are looking to veganize these!
#4: Flour: All-purpose, self-rising, or bread. All of them work! Because this recipe does not add salt or any leaveners you can use self-rising flour in this recipe. To measure flour, lightly spoon it into measuring cups (do not pack down!) and level the cup off with a knife.
#5: Chocolate!: Chips or chunks. Milk, bittersweet, or Dark. I guess you could even do white, but don’t offer me any (who am I kidding, give me one!)
Optional Add ins: If you have the ingredients on hand you can also add 1 tsp vanilla, 1/2 tsp baking soda, 1/2 tsp baking powder, and 1/4 tsp salt. These things will up the flavor and texture of the cookies. If you do have them, I say go ahead and add them!
That’s it! 5 ingredients: Butter, sugar, egg, flour, chocolate. You don’t NEED vanilla, baking soda, baking powder, or salt. If you have the time and have all of those things on hand, then great. But this is that recipe for a quick, throw it together, I need cookies in my mouth in less than 15 minutes, kind of recipe. Easy chocolate chip cookies win! Go make them. It is time.
Note: The point of this recipe is that it is very stripped down and simplified. They are simple and perfect in that way. If you have the time and want to try more over the top cookies, check out this post for my Best Chocolate Chip Cookies.
5 minPrep Time
12 minCook Time
17 minTotal Time
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) softened butter salted or unsalted, at room temperature (required)
- 3/4 cup light or dark brown sugar (required, do not use granulated white sugar)
- 1 large egg, at room temperature (required)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (optional, but recommended)
- 1/4 tsp salt, or large pinch (optional, but recommended)
- 1 cup plus 1/4 cup flour, fluffed up & lightly spooned into measuring cup & leveled off, being careful not to pack down when measuring (required)
- 1 cup chocolate chips (any kind your prefer or have on hand)
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment (or a large bowl with a hand mixer) cream together the butter and sugar until fluffy. (NOTE: if you do not have a mixer you can do this with a wooden spoon. Beat together the butter and sugar until completely combined and fluffy. This will take some time.)
- Add the egg and vanilla (if using) to the butter/sugar mixture and mix until incorporated.
- Stir in the flour, salt (if using), and the chocolate chips just until combined. Do not mix for a long time after adding the flour, it will create cookies that are too tough or cakey.
- Scoop into mounds about 2 TBSP each onto ungreased cookie sheets (you can use a silpat or parchment paper to line your sheets). Do not put more than 9 cookies per sheet.
- Bake at 350ºF until just set on the edges and middle still looks a little bit undercooked. About 8-12 minutes. (these cookies do not brown as much as other cookies because of the lack of baking soda or baking powder.)
- Allow to cool on the baking sheets for 5 minutes before removing. Cookies will continue to cook on the sheets for a few minutes.