Cookies equal comfort. Especially warm right out of the oven eating them straight off the cookie sheet. It just feels like warmth, love, and home.
I don’t think there is any secret by now that I have a certain
obsession affection for cookies. Especially the kind mentioned above. I have this memory of visiting my aunt in Alabama when I was very young. I needed to take a bath and I was protesting. (I apparently hated being clean.) My aunt told me “if you take a bath I will have warm chocolate chip cookies for you when you get out…” Sold. That’s all it took. Bribery via warm chocolate chip cookies and I’m diving into the tub.
I think sometimes people who don’t bake very often do not realize that cookies can really be a simple thing to make. You really only need 5 ingredients to make fantastic chocolate chip cookies and I bet most of us already have them in our pantry!
NOTE: If you are wanting an easy vegan recipe, check out my post specifically for Easy Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies.
#1: Butter: The fat in the butter is important for creating tenderness and flavor. The moisture from the butter is also necessary to hold the cookie together and to create some tenderness when it heats in the oven and steam is released. This recipe is created for the use of regular butter, salted or unsalted. You can substitute margarine or vegan butter, but results will vary.
#2: Sugar: Sugar is for the purposes of sweetness as well as structure in the cookie. Brown sugar gives the cookies chew and moisture. Granulated sugar will not work for this recipe. You must use light or dark brown sugar.
#3: Egg: A large egg is preferable. This recipe has been made successfully with other vegan egg substitutions (such as Ener-G egg replacer) however, results will vary. Baking is science! When you alter recipes the results will also be altered. Check out my recipe for 6 ingredient vegan chocolate chip cookies if you are looking to veganize these!
#4: Flour: All-purpose, self-rising, or bread. All of them work! Because this recipe does not add salt or any leaveners you can use self-rising flour in this recipe. To measure flour, lightly spoon it into measuring cups (do not pack down!) and level the cup off with a knife.
#5: Chocolate!: Chips or chunks. Milk, bittersweet, or Dark. I guess you could even do white, but don’t offer me any (who am I kidding, give me one!)
Optional Add ins: If you have the ingredients on hand you can also add 1 tsp vanilla, 1/2 tsp baking soda, 1/2 tsp baking powder, and 1/4 tsp salt. These things will up the flavor and texture of the cookies. If you do have them, I say go ahead and add them!
That’s it! 5 ingredients: Butter, sugar, egg, flour, chocolate. You don’t NEED vanilla, baking soda, baking powder, or salt. If you have the time and have all of those things on hand, then great. But this is that recipe for a quick, throw it together, I need cookies in my mouth in less than 15 minutes, kind of recipe. Go make them. It is time.
Note: The point of this recipe is that it is very stripped down and simplified. They are simple and perfect in that way. If you have the time and want to try more over the top cookies, check out this post for my Best Chocolate Chip Cookies.
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) softened butter (salted or unsalted)
- 3/4 cup light or dark brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1-1/3 cup flour, all-purpose, self rising, or bread (lightly spoon the flour into the measuring cup and level off. Do not pack down when measuring!)
- 1 cup chocolate chips (any kind your prefer or have on hand)
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Mix the butter and sugar together until completely combined.
- Add the egg and mix until incorporated.
- Stir in the flour then the chocolate chips until combined.
- Scoop into mounds about 1 TBSP each onto ungreased cookie sheets (you can use a silpat or parchment paper to line your sheets). Do not put more than 9 cookies per sheet.
- Bake at 350ºF until just set on the edges and middle still looks undercooked. About 8-12 minutes. (if you did not use brown sugar the cookies will not brown because of the lack of baking soda and baking powder)
- Allow to cool on the baking sheets for 5 minutes before removing. Cookies will continue to cook on the sheets for a few minutes.
Please read the post notes before making alterations to this recipe! Results will vary if you make changes!